Yesterday I posted a (somewhat heavy) entry on fortune telling. My views on it, and those of two commenters, emphasize slightly different things. I see fortune telling as a kind of Rorschach test: What do I personally see, or prefer to see, in this inkblot? Goodbear sees in it a hand extended in hope: There is a future, Virginia, now just set your right foot on that outcropping, there’s only a metre more till the plateau. Eyegillian, on the other hand, snuffs warily at the fortune teller’s robes, seeing her as a dream-reading, dictatorial career counsellor. Our views are different, but none of them are indifferent.
Today, on the other hand, is laundry day, so it’s time for something a little lighter. I thought we might continue the fortune telling/personality sussing/career advising theme with a quiz. I am making it up as I go along. There will be no “If you said yes to questions 3, 7, and 15, you are an INFP” sort of evaluation at the end of it. It’s just a random set of questions to help you reflect, ponder, smile, dream… Ask your partner what they think your answers add up to. Try it on a co-worker. Predict your friends’ answers, then see how good a fortune teller you are. Imagine how your pet would answer them. But please, no squabbling; they’re supposed to be light-hearted.
The Who-Do-You-Think-You-Are Quiz
1. Fill in the blank. “Congratulations! You’ve just won a weekend in ________________!”
2. You have won your choice of three 10-day trips. Which would you choose?
- a) A luxury cruise through Scandinavia
- b) An eco-tour expedition in Costa Rica
- c) A hotel suite in a city hosting the World Cup
3. This autumn, your boss is offering to pay tuition for any evening course you want to take. You’ll sign up for _____________________.
4. Your workplace plays commercial-free satellite radio. You prefer listening to:
- a) the pop hits of your teens
- b) classical music favourites
- c) jazz greats
- d) show tunes
5. You’ve just come from an exhibition of Canadian art. Your favourite works were the ones by:
- a) Paul Peel
- b) Emily Carr
- c) David Milne
6. The fire alarm in your building has gone off for the second time this week. You’re alone in your apartment. You:
- a) curse, and exit the building
- b) don’t curse, and exit the building
- c) curse, and don’t exit the building
- d) don’t curse, and don’t exit the building
7. You’ve just had the most amazing first date! First, your suitor picked you up in a:
- a) fully reconditioned 1975 Corvette Stingray
- b) half-ton pickup truck
- c) partially solar-powered Volvo
8. You went for supper at:
- a) your favourite local
- b) the new vegan eatery that’s been getting those rave reviews
- c) a fabulous French restaurant
9. Then it was off to the cinema to watch an excellent:
- a) romantic comedy
- b) documentary
- c) historical drama
- d) futuristic thriller
10. Afterwards, you went to a watering hole (where you both drank responsibly) and you chatted for hours. You relaxed as your date ordered:
- a) coffee
- b) tea
- c) beer
- d) scotch
11. Your discussion of the film centred on:
- a) this and other films by the same director
- b) the motives and behaviour of the characters
- c) the visuals: setting, costuming, special effects
- d) a comparison of the film’s portrayal and your knowledge of the subject or the book that the film based itself on
12. Your date dropped you off at your door with a warm hug, and the statement that it’s his/her policy never to do more than that on a first date. You think:
- a) What a sweet, old-fashioned kind of respect!
- b) What a weirdo!
- c) What are you doing tomorrow night?
13. You have room in your heart, home, and budget for a new pet. You’ll get a ______________.
14. The TV animal of which you have fondest memories are:
- a) the Littlest Hobo
- b) Skippy, the bush kangaroo
- c) Flipper
- d) Cheeta
15. Your favourite cartoon animal is:
- a) Spongebob Squarepants
- b) Lisa Simpson’s cat Snowball
- c) Yogi Bear
- d) Clifford, the big red dog
16. Your favourite comic-strip animal is:
- a) Snoopy
- b) Garfield
- c) Mutts
- d) Grimm
17. You would take the time to learn a language little spoken in your area, because:
- a) it’s the language of your ancestors
- b) it’s the language of your partner’s relatives
- c) knowledge of it will help you get a raise
- d) it’s an important language in a field that interests you
18. Which adjective best describes you?
- a) tickly
- b) prickly
- c) wriggly
- d) squiggly
19. Would you rather be a sparrow or a snail?
20. Name three things for which you are thankful today. ______________; ____________________; ____________________.
And I thank YOU for stopping by!
Do feel free to comment on anything that really grabbed you. Happy Laundry Day!