In Which Turtle Takes Five Days to Hatch

Real work. Real staple gun. (Photo courtesy Eyegillian.)

This is where I was last week. An insulation brochure lists four steps for this project; I have highlighted, in green, these four steps.

1. Lay a ten-foot square of 6-mil polyethylene sheeting to cover the ground.
2. Unscrew the cover from the light fixture, and then unscrew its box from the strapping (1″ x 3″ boards) and pull out one of the brackets holding its power cord. Pry off the rest of the strapping that had held plastic sheeting over the joists.
3. Pull off the plastic sheeting (stapled to the joists with an office stapler; worse, the plastic was in the wrong place: it should lie between insulation and the warm-in-winter side of the house).
4. Remove the dirty, damp fiberglass insulation.
5. Remove the debris from the crawlspace and pack into three oversized garbage bags.

The garbage can is getting nervous.

6. Sweep up the mouse droppings, mouse corpses, and fly pupae; discard.
7. Hammer flat any protruding nail ends that might interfere with smooth installation of new fiberglass batts.
8. Seal air leaks around wires.
9. Measure spaces between joists. Cut pieces of polyethylene sheeting to cover bottom of floor plus two or three inches down each joist/header. Attach with (proper, heavy-duty) stapler.
10. Cut R-20 insulation to size, and tuck between the joists. Note that the insulation is 6″ thick, leaving 2″ between it and the bottom of the 8″-deep joists.
11. Cut pieces of leftover vinyl siding edging, 8″ x 2″ x 1″, and screw onto joists just below the insulation.

View of steps 10, 11, 12, 15, 18, and 19.

12. Lay builder’s shims across insulation batts, the shim ends resting on the vinyl ledges, to help keep insulation from sagging.
13. Notice old furnace fuel oil line (a narrow copper pipe) that had been sawn through (when system was changed to electric), but never removed. Use claw hammer to pull out its brackets.
14. Wipe up half-cupful of fuel oil spilled onto poly groundsheet. Using hacksaw, remove fuel oil line.
15. Cut, measure, and staple lengths of aluminum window screening over joists, letting it descend a few inches around the perimeter.
16. Return to building centre for another roll of screening. Finish stapling.
17. Study the dryer duct that the previous owner had kept aloft with a length of string looped over a piece of strapping. Remove the string, turn one of the duct lengths around so that the pieces fit properly, and tape.

"There are no strings on me-e-e!"

18. Screw new strapping along screening seams and around perimeter. Stuff steel wool into corners and along larger gaps in seams in hopes of keeping mice out of insulation.
19. Nail bracket back in over light fixture power cord. Using electric screwdriver as light source, and manual screwdriver to do the work, begin to reattach light fixture box to strapping. Watch the Arc’n’Spark Show. Abandon project till next morning.
20. Shut off power for entire house. Reattach light fixture box to strapping. Locate source of metalic tinkling. Using utility knife, carefully strip off 1/2″ of the black wire, and wrap around its screw post; tighten screw. Replace cover on fixture box. Turn house power back on.
21. Measure, build, and nail in a permanent panel that reduces the crawlspace hatch size by half.
22. Measure, cut, and place two vent covers in far end of crawlspace.
23. Measure, construct, and place new hatch cover.

Start to finish: five days.

"...and then I GLUED IT SHUT! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" (Photo courtesy Eyegillian)

11 Responses to In Which Turtle Takes Five Days to Hatch

  1. Jayne says:

    Crikey, I’m exhausted from reading that list!
    Hope there was a well-deserved cup of tea and a foot rest following all of that!

  2. Tony says:

    You did great on such a big job. Did you get all the prickly fibreglass fibres in your skin. I did the ceiling of a house once & even with overalls, gloves, goggles & cap I still seemed to get all those prickly little fibres in my skin.

  3. lavenderbay says:

    More like a bottle of dark beer and a bit of Tiger Balm ointment on my sore back (a casualty of too much bucket-carrying, and which has, after a week, stopped ouching), Jayne. Kind words coming from you, though, with all the work you do for your family.

    It’s a funny thing, Tony, but after feeling two fibres hit my face while I simply walked the length of the fibreglass aisle in the building centre, I noticed very little of it while actually rough-housing with the stuff. Of course, I was covered up to the teeth. A dust mask (you know, like the ones medical personnel wear) was my favoured piece of safety apparel. I can’t wear goggles and mask and ball cap simultaneously (hard hat is even worse!), as the three items together make me sweat and I can’t see what I’m doing, so I ditched the goggles for this job.

  4. WOW. I’m totally impressed. What a huge job, great to get done. Take the rest of the winter off! You deserve it.

  5. S. Le says:

    Impressive! Well done you!

  6. pennycat says:

    Wow!! I am impressed and I have been there, not an easy job at all……You’re hired!

  7. lavenderbay says:

    I wish, Barefootheart, but one of the side attics is already being re-insulated — thankfully, a much simpler job. Then there’s the basement (cue thunderclap and distant wolf howl)…

    Thanks, S. Le! Not as onerous as your kitchen makeover, but being a newbie to this house-owning thing, I’m pretty pleased with my work.

    Yippee! Lemme know what your best local microbrewery is, Pennycat, and I’ll pick up a sixpack on my drive over.

  8. eyegillian says:

    What I really like about the work you’re doing, is that for every corner, crawlspace and closet you poke around in, there is one fewer scary monster waiting in the dark. And probably fewer spiders, too. Carry on, brave knight!

  9. lavenderbay says:

    No monsters at all so far, Eyegillian; though it’s likely they heard me coming and packed their bags before I got there. And there’d better not be any more monsters anywhere, because I’ve already eaten all the Snicker-Snacks from the leftover Hallowe’en treats! (You know…vorpal blades, and all that…)

  10. livingisdetail says:

    Wow, what an achievement! I love the ending of your post. So funny after your thorough description of all the work you did in there. Did you happen to meet any squirrels storing away their acorns for the winter?

  11. lavenderbay says:

    No squirrels, Livingisdetail, which is surprising considering what a big nut was under there for five days. 😀
    I’m glad you like the punchline. I was actually feeling pretty discouraged at how long it took, especially with the even bigger basement project looming. Then E.g. came out with her camera and got me to pose with the broom and made me laugh; her great photo inspired the final words.
    Yesterday we put away the hose for the winter, storing it under there, and the hatch cover did not fall apart!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: